Introduction to Marty, PT, & Me!

    So my college experience has been fairly normal as far as major changing goes. When I first came to OU, I was fairly certain I wanted to be a psychology major. After taking a class that was specifically for choosing your major, I ended up changing my major two more times. I was very lost and had no idea what I wanted to do in the future. When I had a family emergency in 2019 with one of my family members experiencing a stroke so severe it left half of their body paralyzed, I realized it was my calling to help others. By watching my family member go through physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech, and more, I discovered that I wanted to be able to help my family and friends if they ever needed it. I loved the idea of helping others regain their simple body functions and improve over a period of time. This is when I finally became a Health and Exercise Science, Pre-Physical Therapy major. 

Animated image concerning the different stages of physical therapy and the recovery of a patient. Image found at Cartoon Physical Therapy.

    After changing my major and beginning my school journey toward becoming a physical therapist, I was offered a pretty decent job position at a physical therapy office here in Norman. I worked at this physical therapy office for a few months before COVID-19 caused massive layoffs throughout my job field. Overall, the experience of health and exercise science classes at OU as well as my short time working as a technician in a physical therapy office gave me tremendous experience as well as reinforcing my dream of becoming a physical therapist myself.

    Now I know this is a little off topic, but since we are discussing me and my life and life goals, it's important to introduce my beautiful fur baby, Marty.
Personal photo of my kitten, Marty, at 2 months old.

    I adopted Marty at the very end of July from a semi-overpopulated animal shelter. As someone who gets lonely fairly easily, I thought a kitten was the perfect addition to my family; however, I had no idea what journey I was in for! Not only have I had to potty train him (after he peed on ALL of my carpets), but he has somehow managed to steal all of my hair ties and make them his toys. If there is anything you should know about me, it is that this little one takes up all of my time, I will talk about him for decades (someone needs to stop me from bragging about how adorable he is), and I will be forever grateful that I happened to be in the right place at the right time so I could find him.


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin! So glad to hear you that you find your goal in OU! I think physical therapist is a very gracious work cause you need to help others. Honestly, for me, every worker whose job relate to the medical field are really important for our community and society. Best wishes for you to become an excellent physical therapist! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Erin! I can totally understand the position you were in for your major. I felt the same. I too changed my major, funnily enough I changed it from HES to Creative Media Production. Loved reading about your cat, he's adorable! Hope this year treats you well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Erin!

    It's awesome that you've found a calling and passion for helping others through physical therapy. It definitely can be a rewarding job as a physical therapist. Marty is adorable! I also have a cat - he's a gray tabby named Oliver (or Ollie for short) and I also took him in when he was just a little kitten. Cats are honestly such great pets to have. It was nice learning about you!

    Soriyana

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a powerful story, Erin! I have been a fan of physical therapy ever since I had a bad burn some years ago: the doctor didn't really do anything... he just snorted and said I would probably need a skin graft, but the physical therapists were AWESOME. They worked with me on the wound care (I had to go to the PT office every day, and to the hospital on weekends when the PT office was closed), and the doctor was literally speechless when he saw what the therapists had accomplished; I didn't need a skin graft after all! So: therapists are miracleworkers as I see it, and I am excited you found that calling in time to adjust your college program to follow that path. And now after looking at your lovely Marty, of course I want to go take a nap. The cats are always trying to teach us the lesson that NAPS ARE GOOD... and the older I get, ha ha, the more I agree that they are exactly right about that. Maybe Marty-the-hair-tie-thief will make an appearance in one of your blog post stories this semester... or maybe you could write a story about just what Marty dreams about during those catnaps. Dreams of a cat would be a great story space to explore, just using the power of your own imagination, plus the power of catnaps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Erin! My mom also had a stroke, and the doctors and nurses that helped her through it were so awesome. It made me appreciate health care workers in a whole new way! It also made me want to become a nurse, similar to your story! Sadly, the nursing world wasn't cut out for me, but props to you for sticking with your decision. Also, your cat is the cutest! Never stop bragging on him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erin,
    I'm so glad that you were able to find your passion! I know what it's like to worry about the future, so I find it inspiring that you had a type of "calling" into your job field. PT's and OT's do amazing, life changing work so I'm sure your career will be rewarding. With COVID happening, I hope it doesn't impact your learning too much. Best of luck with everything this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Erin,
    I am so happy you found your passion and are excited about your future career, even if you changed your major a few times :) I never switched fields, but I did change from biochemistry to biology to chemical biosciences. But, like everyone is saying above, it is so cool that you have such a strong story and reason for wanting to be a PT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Erin,
    It was nice getting to know you through your introduction! I am so happy your were able to find your passion while here at OU. I changed my major a couple of times and I am so glad I did. Such a powerful story you included which can motivate you even more! I play baseball here and can not tell you how much physical therapists can change peoples lives. I wish you all the best on your journey and hope to read some of your stories this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Erin! Great introduction! I think that the way you found your calling was such an amazing story. It is great that you were inspired to choose physical therapy by those close around you and how you wanted to be able to help them and others! I also think it is great that you are gaining some experience in a physical therapy office. Some people are finding a hard time finding jobs during this time. I wish you best in all your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Erin!

    Marty is adorable! I love cats too. It's so cool that you chose your major based off of your personal experiences and wanting to help the world. That's so cool. It's also awesome that you love the major and profession that you are in because a lot of people can't say the same. I hope you are super successful in the future! Good luck! It's nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Erin!
    Your cat is so cute. I have a bunch of friends that are on the PT track and they love it. My mom is a speech pathologist, so I've spent a lot of time around PT and it is a great profession. Good luck with it, I'm sure you will be great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts