Learning Challenge: Health and Sleep

 

A kitty practicing something super important: SLEEP!!
Image from SkippRichard.

For my H.E.A.R.T. learning challenge this week, I chose health. Sleep was a very unique option on the list and something that I do not get enough of; therefore, I decided to do some research about sleep and why it is so impactful on one's health. I read the article "Why Sleeping May be More Important Than Studying" by Katrina Schwartz. I learned several things from this article, including the fact that students actually performed more poorly on an exam, quiz, or homework after staying up all night studying rather than sleeping. After lots of research, it is found that a reduced amount of sleep leads to more problems comprehending material, less focus or attention, poorer memory, and a type of backfire on the student's performance. I knew that sleep was important before this article, but I never knew that sleep could actually be more important than studying! I found this to be a very interesting thing because I have stayed up all night to cram for an exam before, but after reading this article, I do not think I will continue that habit. Currently, my sleep schedule is very messed up. I tend to stay up late and do a lot of homework in the evenings when I am home. The only time I wake up early is when I need to complete homework or I have an appointment to get to. I think I will try to get on a decent schedule before finals week so that I am getting enough sleep and study time in order to perform well on my finals that are coming up soon. Hopefully, I can implement some of the knowledge that I learned from this article into my own life this week to better my testing scores!

Comments

Popular Posts